Have you ever wondered if Tofu is a healthy protein source? And if so, have you tried it?
I want to share a simple healthy tofu recipe, explain why it is an extremely healthy source of protein and how easy it is to add to your diet or nutrition program.
To begin, What is Tofu?
Tofu is derived from soybeans. The process of making it begins with curdling fresh soy milk, pressing it into a solid block and then cooling it. Very similar to how dairy cheese is made.
What are Tofu’s nutritional benefits?
Tofu is an exceptional source of plant-based protein and also contains all eight essential amino acids (which is unusual for a plant-based source). Also a great source for iron and calcium while also containing a few essential minerals like manganese and selenium.
Tofu is a viable source of protein and is an excellent food to add to your weekly regimen.
Before we get into the recipe, let’s go over quickly the basics of how to prepare tofu. Tofu needs to be pressed because it is stored in water, and all the excess liquid needs to be drained.
How to Prepare Tofu
- Peel the container and drain out all of the excess water and liquid.
- Grab a large plate and put a layer of paper towels on the plate, then the tofu block on top of that.
- Next, put another layer of paper towels on top of the tofu and press down slightly. Then find a heavy object (we use our cast-iron skillet) to lay on the tofu to press out the water from the block.
- Let it sit for 25-30 mins and make sure tofu appears to be dry. If not, repeat the previous steps but we always find 30 mins to be more than adequate time.
Now let’s get to the recipe..
This is a delicious, filling meal and a great substitute for an egg or breakfast scramble.
We serve this with a side of roasted vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, okra or a mix of all three.
Meal: Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 20 Mins
1 Block of Extra Firm Tofu
Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
1/2 Red Onion
1 Red Pepper
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric
2 tsp Water
Serve with: (optional)
Sriracha or Hot Sauce
- Press tofu, following directions above about how to prepare.
- While waiting on tofu to drain, put all of the spices in a small bowl mixed together, including water.
- Dice onion and red pepper, then heat large skillet to medium-high heat and add 1-2 tbsp of Olive Oil. Add onion and red pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes, until softened.
- Add tofu to the skillet, mixing and crumbling into bite size pieces. Saute for 2-3 mins and then add spices.
- Cook for another 5-7 mins until tofu is browned and spices have been completed mixed in.
That’s how easy this meal is! Add in with a side of vegetables and you have a balanced meal that will keep you full.
I love mine with Avocado’s and salsa to add some extra flavor!
Do you have other tofu recipe’s you like to make?
Comment or share and this and please let us know if you enjoyed this recipe!